Management of asbestos and other hazardous materials

How does the University manage asbestos and other hazardous materials?

The University has policies and practices in place regarding asbestos and other hazardous materials to ensure the health and safety of everyone on campus. Campus Management undertakes the following to manage this:

  • Development of an asbestos management plan and survey program to ensure the identification of all asbestos containing materials (ACM)s within buildings.
  • Guidelines for either removing or managing this ACM to reduce the risk to as low as reasonably practicable.
  • Establish and maintain the UWA asbestos materials register which identifies the type of material, its condition and risk rating.
  • Allocation of work area access permits to authorise access and minimise exposure of workers to hazardous work areas.
  • Management of emergency response procedures for exposure to ACM and hazardous materials.
  • Ensuring work practices do not disturb ACM, avoiding exposure to asbestos fibres.

Before commencing any work or alterations to University buildings, it is important to consult the UWA asbestos materials register (TRIM file F60454 or phone 6488 5588). If the presence of ACM is identified, you must apply for a Work Access Permit by phoning 6488 5662 and only an authorised licensed person may work with the ACM.

It is also important to report any damaged ACM or any concerns you may have about asbestos to the Campus Management Safety Officer on 6488 5662 or 6488 5588.

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted; please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.